Monday, September 15, 2008

At the Fair



This weekend we enjoyed the Kiowa County Fair, and it got me reminiscing about my youth. I found this picture of my bother, sisters and I at the Sand & Sage fair in 1984! We were quite the crew. I am 5 years old in this photo, my sister Hannah is 4, my brother Dusty just turned 3 and my youngest sister Abby is 1. We attended the fair every year and when we got old enough we joined 4-H and each of us showed 2 sheep each! My mom must of been crazy, because not only was she raising all 4 of us kids on her own (my dad drowned when I was only 5) she also had 8 sheep to worry about each year. Sheep take quite a lot of work to...you have to not only feed and water them every day, you have keep them sheared and take them on walks each day! When the fair would roll around I always thought I was ready to be done with all of the chores they involved, yet after I showed them and sold them, I would sit in their pen and cry. Oh goodness...that was so long ago and what wonderful memories I still hold from all of the fairs I attended!

1 comment:

Linda Summerfield said...

Wow, your Mom sounds amazing! That is the cutest picture, I love how you have altered it.
Linda